Friday, November 12, 2010

Migraines are a pain. Literally and figuratively.

If you didn't figure it out from my Post Its on Tuesday, I've been battling a major migraine.  Never before have I had one that messed with my vision - this one did.  On Thursday, Sunday, and Tuesday, I had weird things happening with my vision.  I went in to see my doctor on Tuesday.  Well, a substitute doctor - mine is out of town until next week.  She gave me one prescription - I went to get it filled, checking the price first because she didn't want me to spend a fortune when there are other meds that will do just as well.  Good thing I checked, because it was $300 for six pills.  If I hadn't had a migraine before, I definitely would've had a headache after hearing that!  As it was, I felt very lightheaded, and thankful we had checked before filling.  The pharmacy called the doc and got me a Rx for Imitrex, which turned out to cost me nothing.  Huge difference!

The Imitrex seemed like it was working - I went to bed Tuesday without a migraine.  But when I got up Wednesday morning, it was back, and it was MEAN.  I called my doctor on my way to mass, leaving a message for a callback.  About midway through mass, my phone started ringing (good thing it was on vibrate!).  I ran out the back door, knowing I needed to answer (and it was at such a spot where I could without it being obvious).  The doctor was skipping the step of MRI and neurologist as she had suggested on Tuesday - instead, she wanted me to go to the ER for an IV of medicine.

It seems like it would be easy to leave a school, right?  Not when none of the substitute teachers will answer their phones!  The secretary finally found someone who could come in for the afternoon.  I called my mom, who was also going to leave school, so she knew that I couldn't leave right away.  When I did, I drove home and my mom met me there to take me to the hospital.

The people we met in the ER were fantastic.  They re-checked the things my doctor had on Tuesday, but got me an IV very quickly.  I don't know what it was, but it had Benedryl with it because they know it has side effects.  It worked - my head quit hurting.  I also ended up sleeping for close to 22 hours!!  I woke up to let the dog out and feed him, let him out around 3 AM, and for breakfast (and to let the dog out again).

I'm still tired (hard to believe, right?) but at least my head doesn't hurt.  I still feel a little "off" - it's almost like a hangover, except no headache and I don't feel sick.  I just don't feel quite like myself.  It makes for an easy day at school - I'm following my sub plans from yesterday - but it still feels like time is moving really slow.

I don't know yet how much the ER visit is going to cost me, but it doesn't matter.  I would do it again in a heartbeat just to be rid of the pain.  Anyone who has experienced multiple days of a migraine - a major migraine - in a row would agree.  You get to a point where you don't care what it takes and what the side effects or cost might be, you just want it to STOP.  I am thankful for all of the things and people that make it possible for me to get the relief that I so badly wanted.


Bicoastal Bride said...

I'm so glad you're OK. I've never had a migraine before, but I know plenty of people who get them, and they just sound like a nightmare. I'm sorry you had to go through such a bad experience.

Sandra said...

Wow...that's awful. Better yet though, did they figure out what is causing the migraines?
I hope they stay at bay. Take care.